MICHELANGELO IN FLORENCE: BEYOND THE DAVID (walking tour)
To the discovery of the most famous Italian artist
With this tour you’ll get the chance to learn in deep about Michelangelo Buonarroti (Caprese 1475; Rome 1564), sculptor, painter, architect and poet of the High Renaissance, he exerted a great influence on the development of Western art, and he was one of the greatest artists of his lifetime, as well as of all time.
We’ll start with a visit to the New Sacristy, begun in 1520 by Michelangelo, who also designed the Medici tombs within. We’ll then walk to the Bargello Palace, one of the most interesting museums in Florence, it houses masterpieces by Michelangelo, such as his Bacchus, Pitti Tondo, Brutus and David-Apollo. We’ll then visit the Casa Buonarroti, a building owned by Michelangelo, that was converted into a museum dedicated to the artist by his nephew, Michelangelo Buonarroti the Younger; its collections include two of Michelangelo’s earliest sculptures, the Madonna of the Steps and the Battle of the Centaurs. Last visit will be to the nearby Santa Croce that house the monumental tomb of Michelangelo.
– Tour duration: approx. 4 hours
– Meeting time: 9.00 AM
– Entrance fees with priority access: included
– Transportation: no needed (walking tour)
I’ll meet you at your hotel/accommodation in Florence, or in Piazza San Lorenzo, or in another agreed spot in Florence.
– Medici Chapels (inside; Sagrestia Nuova – New Sacristy – by Michelangelo, who also designed the Medici tombs within)
– Bargello Museum (inside; it houses masterpieces by Michelangelo: his Bacchus, Pitti Tondo, Brutus and David-Apollo)
– Casa Buonarroti (inside; owned by Michelangelo, converted into a museum dedicated to the artist by his nephew)
– Santa Croce Church (inside; here are buried many Italian glories including Michelangelo and Galileo)
With me as your guide it will be easier for you to listen and follow the tour despite the everyday crowd, and I’ll be happy to accommodate your requests going faster through parts that you are not interested in, or stopping longer to see what is more relevant for you.
I am not going to give you a lecture – unless you want to – I will be informative but I won’t overdo with too many dates and names, I will make your visit fun with anecdotes and legends, you’ll have time to enjoy coffee or an ice cream: I know you are here on holiday and your holiday is meant to be relaxing and fun!
The tour is private: for your party only!
No lines to get in to the museums and monuments!
Contact us for a quotation.